Sunday, January 8, 2012

It's been a REALLY GREAT WEEK!

Being a die hard Houston sports fan I have to start out with the obvious.  GREAT GAME, TEXANS!  Woohoo!  I also have to include a special pic of Arian Foster after his second touchdown in yesterday's game.  He leapt into the crowd right into the arms of my former co-worker, Georgette Jacob.  You can barely see her, but she is the blond girl holding on to Arian.  CRAZY!



So jealous, Georgette!  Now onto our next victory against the Ravens next Sunday.  Go Texans!

It was also a great week because me and Clint got to spend Friday evening back in the 80's.  We went to the Richard Marx and Peter Cetera concert at the Arena theater.  Yes, that's right, I said the Arena Theater.  That place has been around for some time.  I even think it was built before I was born?  Anyway, it's such a cool little theater.  It's small, maybe 2000 seats and the stage is in the middle and rotates around like the stage at the rodeo.  I'm a big Richard Marx fan.  "Endless Summer Nights", "Hold on to the Night", "Should Have Known Better", etc.  He sang it all on acoustic guitar!  He was really good and a comedian as well.  Peter Cetera sang with a band and was incredible.  I didn't realize just how many songs he has written, sang, produced, etc.  He sang not only his solo and duet hits, but he sang a lot of his Chicago tunes...mainly from Chicago 17!  I was in heaven to say the least.  Don't laugh...you know a lot of you out there just love his song "Glory of Love" from the Karate Kid movie - you just won't admit it.  Here's a pic of Richard Marx sans the big, fluffy, long mullet from the 80's.



I got to go to a short district meeting with work in St. Louis.  It was a really quick trip but really worth it. I've never been to St. Louis before.  Just look at the view I had from my hotel window!



So now on to the REALLY big news of the week.  As you remember, I had an appointment with Dr. Steven Curley, a liver surgeon at MD Anderson, earlier this week.  It went really well.  Dr. Curley thinks I am a great candidate for liver resection surgery.  I am scheduled for surgery on February 16.  I still have to have one more set of good scans in early February, but everything looks good.  He will be taking out my entire right lobe and parts of the left (About 75% of my entire liver).  The remainder of my left lobe will then grow to take the place of the right.  It grows back completely in 1-2 months!  Isn't that just crazy?  We are hoping to get all the cancer lesions in my liver cut out.  I have an opportunity to be NED - NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE!  I asked him what's the longest one of his breast cancer patients has been NED after surgery.  Drum roll please:  he said 16 YEARS and she's still going strong (he just saw her 2 weeks before Christmas).  WOW!  I am so excited just to have the chance to be NED.  The surgery only takes a couple of hours, but I will be in the hospital for 5-7 days.  I then will be recovering at home for a couple of weeks.  

I just ask that you guys all keep praying for me.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate every single one of those prayers.  I know God listens, I know he has a plan for me.




1 comment:

  1. You are in my thoughts and prayers, Rachel. You are gutsy, creative and truly an inspiration! You are more full of life than anyone I know. I just know this is going to turn out for the best! ---Warren

    ReplyDelete