Saturday, January 21, 2012

Worst Parade EVER and other happenings in Htown

So what's up with the "worst parade ever" title?  The Houston Marathon and Half marathon took place last weekend and that was the most talked about sign on the marathon route.  Supposedly all the runners thought it was hilarious.  Of course I had to take their word for it as I decided not to run this year even though I had signed up and ran the Vegas half back in December.  Why?  I just didn't have it in me!  That and my reconstructed boob had been "squeaking" ever since Vegas when I ran my long runs.  It turns out the "squeaking is no big deal...dehydration.  That does make sense since the only time it would do it is when I ran more than 4 miles.  Anyway, my friend and former co-worker from Austin, Braun Borman, came into town to run the half.  I really enjoyed being a spectator this year and hanging out with his girlfriend, Heather.  I didn't miss running it and to tell you the truth was a bit shocked!  I know I'll be back running halfs, but for now I'm temporarily retired!  Hopefully I'll be back next year to run in the "worst parade ever".  


Cute pic of Braun and Heather at mile 8 Pink Ribbons Hoopla station!  Way to go BRAUN!!






This last Tuesday I had my last surgical procedure regarding my reconstruction.  I had the nipple/areola reconstruction.  It was actually fascinating as they did this in the OR while I was AWAKE!  Yes, I had only local anesthesia.  It only took him 20-30 minutes to do it and I didn't feel a thing!  I didn't even feel the injections to numb my skin.  This was a nice surprise after doing the liver biopsy only a month ago.  It all went well and I was back home by 9:30am that day.  The worst part of it was not being able to take a shower for 2 days.  So now, all I have left with all the reconstruction is to have my nipple and areola tattooed to match the color of the other one.  That's all in office stuff that can be done very easily...so no more surgical procedures for my boobs.  YAY!!


I am getting ready for my big liver resection surgery on February 16.  I'm so excited that my sister and nephew are coming down for all the fun.  In the meantime I am going to ISRAEL next Saturday the 28th thru February 4!  This has been all last minute...Clint was asked to help out last minute on a project there and I decided to tag along for the end of trip (Clint left earlier this week).  We are planning to go to the Sea of Galilee area, the Dead Sea and Ein Geti, and finish up the week in Jerusalem for a few days.  I'm really excited to visit the Holy Land.  Let me know if any of you have any suggestions out there on where to go and what to see!  


Many of you keep asking about Suites of Hope, my non-profit.  I contacted the IRS this last week to see where we stand in the process and they told me that I have been approved and should be getting my official paperwork any day now.  I'm so excited.  I know I haven't posted much on our progress, but we have been meeting, looking at a particular condo, and are in the process of getting our website up and running.  Hopefully when I get the official paperwork, we can then move on buying the condo.   We are so close!  We plan on having a "registry" to furnish the condo and I will let you guys know when that is up and running.  I still think we won't be up and running for business until April or May, but that's OK as I want to do this the right way!  


In closing I just want to say that I'm very proud of the Houston Texans!  It was a great year and such a long time coming.  We should have beat the Ravens, but that's just the way the ball bounces especially off your face mask when trying to field a punt that you shouldn't have...ask Jacoby Jones about that! :( 





No comments:

Post a Comment