Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Just Keep Spinning...Just Keep Spinning!

Whew!  Tour de Pink 2011 is officially over and I survived!!!


Team Bella Rachel had a blast.  Of course most of the team biked the 12 mile route - me, Babs Eaker, Heather Durst (my coworker at UCB), and Grace (Heather's friend) all biked the 47 mile route.  We rocked it!  


Yes, it did rain down on us at mile 20, but only for about 5 minutes and the rest of the race was sunny and nice.  In all, we biked 47 miles, burned over 2000 calories each, ate and drank a lot at the Pink Pit Stops (including pickle juice shots, PBJ sandwiches, and DP!), and saw a lot of road kill along the way (3 armadillos, 2 large snakes, different types of birds, a skunk, and a possum).  Heather and Grace's husbands and kids cheered us on as we came out of Hempstead and headed back towards Prairie View.  We made great time and finished at 11 am - 4 hours after we started.  Not bad considering we stopped at all the pit stops along the way and spent on average 10-15 minutes at each one.  We averaged about 18 mph and at times got up to 21 mph...not too bad for a group of girls who didn't really train for various reasons.  Everyone stayed on their bikes throughout the course and there were no accidents or big falls...well, at least until we crossed the finish line.  I fell over on my bike after we crossed the finish line and we were coming to a stop.  I was so excited I forgot to get out of my clips when I braked and fell right over.  I bruised my left knee, both palms and right thigh pretty good.  I also some how spiked myself on my right calf with my bike chain - its bruised up too.  Ugh!  Oh well, it was worth it all.  Surprisingly I'm not sore otherwise.  Kind of strange!


Here are some pics of the TDP bike ride!


Grace, Babs, me and Heather at Pink Pit Stop #1 (mile 8)







Babs taking a pickle juice shot at Pink Pit Stop #7 (mile 35).  Go BABS!!  Babs is a breast cancer survivor.







Me having a DP, pickles, and grapes at Pink Pit Stop #7 (I also had a pickle juice shot).







Grace, me, and Heather after we crossed the finish line!







Heather and Grace's husbands and kids!  They had a great time!










So, I am still fundraising for my bike ride until October 18 if you have not had a chance to donate to the cause.  There is still TIME!  No donation too small!  Pink Ribbons Project is an incredible non-profit dedicated to breast cancer awareness in the Houston area.  It is a local charity and my good friend Susan Rafte is the survivor founder!  Thanks to all of you who have already donated to the cause - I truly appreciate your support.  I love you all!


Here is the link to my personal page once again:


http://www.tourdepink.org/site/TR?px=1236724&pg=personal&fr_id=1100




I have an appointment with Dr. Litton, my breast oncologist, this Friday.  I have not seen her in a few months and I'm looking forward to catching up with her.  This is just a follow-up appointment and I don't have any scans or tests to go over.  I'll let you guys know if anything earth shattering happens.  Otherwise, I am still feeling really well and sometimes even forget that I have cancer.  It's wonderful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment