Saturday, September 24, 2011

Baby showers, Babies, and a Houston Texan sighting!

This past week was dubbed "Baby Week" for me.  I hosted a baby shower at my house last Saturday for my friend, Kayla, and then her sister, Sherri, had her baby just yesterday.


The shower was really fun!  There were about 25 women (and a couple of little guys) show up for the festivities.  Since I was running the show, there were two things that were most important...not playing any silly baby games and having the event over on time so people can leave if they want or stay longer to visit if they have time.  Both things were accomplished!  We played one icebreaker since a lot of the ladies didn't know each other...we had celebrity baby names and celebrity couples on notecards.  Each lady got a notecard and you had to find your match - if you had a baby name,  you had to find the person that had the celebrity mom/dad to match.  Of course I used the couples who had CRAZY baby names like Daisy Poppy or Moonblood.  What's gotten into these celebrities anyway?


The shower hostesses with Kayla:  Shannon, Angi, Melanie, Kayla, Ashley, me






Kayla with her cake:






Katie Knight with her 3 daughters Sherri, Natalie, and Kayla who are ALL pregnant at the same time!






Like I said, Sherri had her baby yesterday (Friday) and I went to the hospital to visit her and the new little guy, Samuel.  Before I went up there, I just had to get her a gift.  I went to Doodles in the Village.  I almost had a meltdown in the store.  I just have a really hard time in baby stores.  I'm always happy for my friends who have babies and I just adore kids, but something about a baby store just wants me to hyperventilate.  I guess its just that everything is just so darn cute and it just makes me realize how I will NEVER get to experience having a baby.  It's like having a dream that just gets demolished and you keep having to have it in your face that its just never gonna happen to you, but it will have to everyone else.  What was worse is that it took them forever to get the gift wrapped!!  It was all worth it though.  Little Samuel was just so darn cute and looked like he was more like a week old instead of 12 hours.
Congrats Sherri and Todd!!


Baby Samuel!!




On the way up to see Sherri and Samuel, I ran into Matt Schaub, the Texans quarterback, coming out of the elevator I was getting into.  Before everyone freaks out, this is a WOMEN'S hospital.  There is nothing wrong with Matt Schaub, unless he is having a baby or having his ovaries take out - LOL!  Anyway, when I told Sherri that I saw him on the way up Sherri says, "What's up with you and sports celebrity sightings all the time?"  When I texted Clint about it he said the same thing!!  So, I decided to end this entry today with a list of sports figures that I have seen around town.  This is in no particular order.

1.  Matt Schaub at Texas Women's Hospital
2.  Shane Battier at Benjy's Lounge and Vic and Anthony's
3.  Hakeem Olijawon at Houston's
4.  John Lucas at Houston's
5.  Patrick Ewing at Houston's
6.  Charles Barkley at Chili's
7.  Matt Maloney at Houston's
8.  Lance Berkman at Scurlock Tower in the Medical Center
9.  Clyde Drexler at Smith Tower in the Medical Center
10.  Owen Daniels at Bikram Yoga
11.  Steve Slaton or Vonte Leach (can't remember which it was) at Bikram Yoga
12.  Raj from the men's Olympic Gymnastics Team at Bikram Yoga
13.  Chris Brown the former field goal kicker of the Texans at Randalls
14.  Moses Malone at 2nd Baptist gym
15.  Warren Moon at 1st Baptist gym watching his daugher play club volleyball
16.  Jeff Van Gundy at The Next Level gym and watched him coach our friends kids pee wee basketball game.  
17.  Carl Lewis at Ruggles
18.  Some other old time Rockets at Ruggles with Carl Lewis

That's all I can remember right now, but that's a LOT!!  None of these sightings were at scheduled events.  They were all out having dinner or lunch, etc.


2 comments:

  1. Rachel, I know the baby stuff has to be so tough! All the mixed feelings of being happy for others, but feeling sad at the same time over the loss of a dream. You amaze me and you really do rock girl!!! Always thinking of you and admiring you. So many important life lessons are being taught daily, just by your example and the woman you are. Thank you for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last baby picture a lot. The baby shower also looks enjoyable. So glad that you chose to share the details here for us to read and get inspired. I too would be hosting the fun baby shower for my cousin and recently trying to make a list of the affordable indoor event locations. Can you help regarding it?

    ReplyDelete