Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Work & Wildfires

I've been a little busy with work lately...I guess some people would complain about it, but I really like my job and the people I work with.  I'm not saying it's a perfect place or that I don't have days where I wonder what the heck I'm doing and why I'm doing it - that's why it's called work and not vacation, right?  Anyway, I have to say that I work with not only really good people, but really FUN people.  I also have the benefit of working with people who actually seem genuinely concerned about my well being and understand that there is more to life than just work.  I thought I would share a few pics and shout outs to my fellow UCB'ers.  My National Sales Director, Brad, came into town a couple of weeks ago to take some of our Htown physicians out to dinner.  My Regional Manager, Kurt, also joined him for the festivities.  One of my docs going to the dinner surprised Brad and Kurt with Tshirts - the shirts have to do with inside jokes from some ACR 5k fun run that I wasn't around for last year, but got woke up at 6:30 am in the morning to hear all about it. 




Basically, Kurt got left behind at the 5k (because he said he had bad shoes) and made fun of Martha for being a bad wingman and advised her to watch Top Gun again.  So, that's why Kurt has the Wingman shirt and Martha has the "Worst Wingman Ever" shirt.  Brad has the "Stud Muffin" cartoon shirt because of some game that they played at Rheumatology at the Beach meeting in Destin.  I'm displaying the "Do you know the Muffin Man?" shirt as Martha couldn't hold up both of them.  Of course, she got me my own "Do you Know the Muffin Man?" shirt as well.  So from now on, Kurt is know as the Wingman and Brad as Stud Muffin.  It was all fun and games until later when Brad told me to turn in my keys.  Ugh!  Good thing he was just kidding!!  Note:  if anyone is attending ACR this fall they will be at the 5k once again, but this time Kurt will be leading a group of WALKERS.  I guess he hasn't found the perfect running shoes yet.  


I also have to say that I LOVE my district.  We have a great manager and we all have fun together at the meetings.  Unfortunately, we just found out that we are going through a reorganization (again) and some of us will have a different manager, etc.  We don't know the specifics yet, but the reorganization is definitely for the best - don't worry, none of us are losing our jobs.  I'm just really sad because I thought we had such a wonderful little district - we all got along and helped each other out.  I know I have posted this pic before in my Caringbridge but I thought I would post it again in honor of my peeps.  Don't freak out about my hair - the pic was taken last March.






By the way, I would like to note that my co-worker, Heather, will be riding with me this Sunday in the Tour de Pink.  She's the 2nd girl on the left, in the front row of pic.  


As I've mentioned before, many people ask me why I'm working while I'm battling cancer.  I have to say that my everyone I work for and work with has made such a big difference - they have been so helpful and kind about what I'm going through.  I can't imagine not working!!  I know so many other people with cancer don't have the huge blessing of having a great work environment - many times I even hear of employers trying to get rid of employees with cancer or not being very understanding of appointments and not willing to make accommodations for treatments and doctor visits.  I just don't understand the human race sometimes... how can we turn our backs on people when they need us the most?  I also have to add that my medical insurance through UCB is paying for my clinical trial medication - it's an MD Anderson trial so the drugs aren't free.  Afinitor costs $10,000 a month ($70,000 total so far) and I only have a $20 copay.  I was told I was the first person in the trial that had insurance that was willing to pay for the Afinitor.  All the others that had tried to get in had been denied by their insurance.  Can you imagine if I couldn't have been on Afinitor?  Who else out there didn't even get the chance to try this drug?  These are the things I just don't like to think about but is cold hard reality.  


Moving on from cold reality to "hot" reality.  When is this drought and heat wave going to go away once and for all?  All these wildfires are crazy.  I can't believe how many people have lost their homes, farmland, animals, etc.  Not to mention how much smoke we have all been inhaling the past two weeks. I've really been struggling with constant sinus headaches since Labor Day weekend and keep wondering if I have a sinus infection or if it's because of all the smoke in the air.  I think I have felt worse the last two weeks than any day I was on chemo.  That's saying a lot!!


Finally, my next blog will be about the big Tour de Pink ride which is this Sunday.  Team Bella Rachel has 16 team members ready to ride for breast cancer.  I've raised about $2000 so far.  It's not too late to make a donation and no donation is too small!  Here's the link to my personal page:


http://www.tourdepink.org/site/TR?px=1236724&pg=personal&fr_id=1100





No comments:

Post a Comment