Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Good News...AGAIN!!!!

So after my grumpy, crabby, down in the dumps pre-CT scan blog entry, I have good news to report!  My large liver lesion is now down to around 2 cm!!!  WOW!  Remember back in March when I had my baseline scan to enter this trial it was around 7.5/8 cm.  Such remarkable results.  I still have one other small lesion that is barely detectable, but there's really nothing other than those two remaining that can be seen.  My blood work all came back great again except for my WBC and ANC are a little low as usual...nothing that another shot of Neulasta couldn't fix (too bad I'm not a Neulasta rep!).   


My clinical trial oncologist, Dr. Wheler, asked me today if I wouldn't mind getting another biopsy of my liver to do some more genomic mapping stuff and see what comes up - I'm all in for that for sure.  Something really exciting is that she will be putting together some of the preliminary results from this trial to submit for a poster at ASCO.  I would be so excited to be part of a clinical trial presented in a poster at ASCO (I've warned you guys about me being a big NERD!).  Just a fantastic day at MD Anderson for sure.  I even heard from my rock star breast oncologist, Dr. Litton, who just wanted to follow-up with me regarding my CT scan.  She's so excited too!


Thank you all so much for your continued support and prayers!  Please continue to pray for me, but most of all please continue to pray for all of us in CancerLand and especially Laurie Earls and Lindsey Apostolo.  


As far as my last blog, I heard from a lot of you.  Again, so appreciate all the support out there.  I'm really struggling with going back and forth between days at MD Anderson where so many miracles happen but so many lives are hanging by a thread, and then the "real" world outside of MD Anderson where "normal" life goes on.  Sometimes the faces I've seen at MDA haunt me...I think about the couple I saw a month ago where the wife had stomach cancer and looked like she was at the brink of death, I think about all the people with radiation burns I see there, the people with oxygen tanks, and the stem cell/bone marrow transplant patients.  It haunts me, but then it also makes me feel so grateful for what I have.  Which leads me to my list of things I'm thankful for:


1.  God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit taking care of me and my family and blessing us!
2.  Clint - he's been a ROCK!
3.  My family (yes, this includes my furbabies Buddy and Preston)
4.  My friends (old and new, near and far)... you guys keep sticking by my side through all the craziness.
5.  MD Anderson - all the oncologists, nurses, staff, volunteers who are helping God perform miracles every day!
6.  Houston's First Baptist - where else can someone go and hear a sermon that speaks to them right at that very moment they need it the most?  It's like Pastor Gregg is reading my mind!!!
6.  My job - I LOVE my job.  Yes, it's a job and not perfect but its such a great job and UCB has been really good to me through all this as well as the many physicians and office staff I call on.  Oh, and my health insurance has been AMAZING!
7.  Memorial Park... such great therapy running there. Just so sad that all the trees are dying because of the drought. :(
8.  Living in Houston.  Yes, I'm probably the only person that has admitted that, but I can't tell you how convenient living here has been for me for many reasons!
9.  My new boobs!  Thanks, Dr. Schusterman.  I really LOVE them.
10.  El Tiempo.  Where else can a couple of girls get fajitas and sit on the patio and solve the world's problems?
11.  I'm thankful that A&M is leaving the Big 12 for the SEC.  This will be so much better for my marriage!!  (For those of you who don't know, I'm married to a Longhorn)
12.  Finally, I'm thankful for a few men named Andre, Arian, Matt, Owen, Brian, DeMeco, etc!  And thank you Dallas for firing Wade Phillips.  


I wish all of you a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope to be back in a few days to post some pics and highlights from the last A&M/UT game for a very long time.  Gig em, Aggies!

6 comments:

  1. Such wonderful news!! So much to be thankful for, my friend. Lifting you in prayer and love!

    Hugs,
    Gayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous pre-Thanksgiving post. You are a walking, beautiful miracle and I am grateful for YOU. (And your new drug, and your doctors and Clint your rock...). Have a beautiful weekend, Rach. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel i am so happy to hear the great news of the scan. You are a fighter and an inspiration to many. Keep fighting. I know God is using you in so many peoples lives. Have a happy thanksgiving.
    Love and prayers,
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new spirit! And all the great news in detail! So thankful to have you in my life Rach! You never cease to amaze me! Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure have been thru a lot that last few years. I'm sorry I haven't kept in touch. I will be praying daily for you and Clint. So glad I saw you on the news. And I am actually glad for facebook today b/c we are friends and I could track down your blog.

    ReplyDelete