Sunday, December 18, 2011

I Have Finally Realized that I Have Been on an Emotional Spending Spree for Years and I am now Emotionally Bankrupt!


My little furbaby, Buddy (aka Budmuffin).  It's such an appropriate shirt for him, by the way!  Preston has one too, but wouldn't sit still long enough to get a good pic.


My friends, Laurie Earls and her sister Charlene, came into town last week for Laurie's CT scans, MRI's, and 3 month visit with her oncologist here at MD Anderson.  As some of you know, Laurie actually lives in California and I met her at a local restaurant back in February while she was here for treatments.  I'm so happy that Laurie got to go back home finally but I have missed her.  It was really great to hang out with them.  They actually stayed with us at the house for a few days.  

I have to tell you what dear, sweet Laurie and her sister pointed out to me during their visit...I am emotionally in debt, maybe even bankrupt, due to poor choices in spending emotional energy over the years.  What?  Did I really say that?  Is there even such a thing as being emotionally in debt or bankrupt?  As some of you know, I've always been pretty good at keeping out of debt financially.  I don't go willy nilly spending $ on crazy things (OK,  every now and then but nothing too crazy) and I have many good choices when it comes to finances.  Not so much on the emotional side of things.  Let me explain!  Many of you have pointed out that I can be emotional...I have that figured out, but what I didn't know is that I need to be more selective on who and when I spend my emotional energy on.  I'm not saying that some people, things, situations are not worth it, but I need to be more careful in the amount of emotional energy I expend and prioritize where I spend it.  A lot of it has to do with timing as well.  I may have a big CT scan coming up the following day... guess what, I may not have a lot of emotional energy for anyone that day.  Why am I explaining any of this to you guys?  I just need you all to know that I still care about my friends and family.  I love you all so much.  I just may not be able to emotionally invest in certain people, things or situations at certain times and THAT'S JUST GOING TO HAVE TO BE OK!!!!

Where it all seemed to dawn on me was when me, Clint, Laurie, and Charlene were at El Tiempo (where else would I be?) and Laurie was really trying to help me solve a problem.  Laurie started doing the pros and cons thing with me with Equal packets being the pros and Splenda packets being the cons.  I'm always pretty good at listing the pros and cons of situations,  I think my dad started teaching me that the moment I came out of the womb.  Unfortunately, there with Laurie I couldn't even get past one Equal packet to one Splenda packet...I couldn't even come up with the actual pros and cons!  It was like I didn't care one way or the other.  It's like it didn't matter but I know that it should have and I should have come up with way more sweetners either way.  That's when it hit me.  All these years I've been saying that I wish I had on "off" switch for me caring so much about things.  That "off" switch is called being emotionally in debt, empty, or bankrupt.  I've now decided that maybe an "off" switch isn't what I need, its more like I need one of those sliding dimmer switches.  Am I making any sense what so ever?  What do you guys think?  This is probably common sense to many of you and I'm just late to the party on this one.

Anyway, I would like to give you guys a quick update on Laurie's visit to MD Anderson.  She got some good news.  All her tumors/lesions shrunk on Nexavar except for one.  She has numerous tumors all over her body so having all but one respond is really GREAT!  Her eye is doing a lot better (she was having problems because of the tumor on her brain stem).  The radiation seemed to help.  Her hair is growing back and she seems to be in good spirits.  She is in a lot of pain so please keep her in your prayers, especially that God would lessen the pain in her leg.  She is now in Tuscon, Arizona staying with Charlene and her husband.  Yay!  We are all excited that she will be celebrating a lot this Christmas.  

I also want to update you guys on my friend Lindsey, the one decorating my house that I have talked about on previous blogs.  She is my friend who has metastatic cervical cancer.  Since I have last talked about her, she has been in the hospital dealing with horrible pain in her back.  I was getting really worried about her since I had not heard from her in a week or so.  She has had a surgical procedure to get a pain pump.  That seems to be helping somewhat, but she still is in pain.  It's all from her FOUR fractures in her pelvis.  OUCH!  I just saw her a couple of nights ago and she says she is getting her MOJO back.  She looked amazing as always.  Please keep her in your prayers.  

I will actually be back blogging in a couple of days.  I have something else I want to blog about that's been on my mind relating to cancer...but this time the financial side to cancer.  Might be a little controversial.


No comments:

Post a Comment