Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Survived Vegas and the Media Mayhem!



Viva Las Vegas!  Yes, I survived the Vegas Rock and Roll Half Marathon at night.  It was fun running the strip at night, but it was an EXTREMELY crowded run the whole 13.1 miles.  Nothing like running with 44,000 other crazy people.  At least I got to run with a few of my friends.  In the pic above is Heather Keister, Laura Kopytkiewicz, Ashley Paulsen, me and Martha Aguilar.  Let's just say Ashley left all of us in the dust and finished in 2:12.  I finished with a 2:34... I did really well until I got to mile 10 which was coming back to the strip at the Wynn Encore.  Oh well, I still got the Houston Half coming up in January.  I'm just glad we had a really fun girls weekend.  I also need to give a shout out to my friend Ellie Bane who gave me the absolutely fabulous pink sequin skirt to wear in the race.  I also started out wearing light-up glasses and necklace, but they weren't made for running. LOL!  Here's a few other pics of us having fun in Vegas.  





I came home late Monday night and barely had time to recover before my liver biopsy at MDA on Tuesday.  This time, it wasn't as "fun" as the last time.  They were running 3 hours behind due to difficult cases before me.  We arrived at 10 am but didn't walk out the door until 7:15 pm.  Don't feel bad for me...feel bad for Clint.  I actually slept for an hour and a half before the procedure and then slept the entire 3 hours afterwards while Clint got to sit around and read a book.  Again, just like last time, my blood pressure was low and the alarm kept going off on the monitor but I didn't notice since I was fast asleep.  This biopsy was a little different than the one I had last year.  They decided last minute to do it MRI guided instead of CT guided.  They also went in at a different angle.  It was definitely more painful than last time as well.  However, this time they wouldn't give me more meds as my blood pressure was "too low".  NEWS FLASH MDA:  my blood pressure is low normally!!!!  I was frustrated, but I survived.  I hopefully will find out more information on the results of the biopsy next week at my next appointment with Dr. Wheler.  


Now, on to all the media mayhem.  Many of you noticed that I was on the news, in the paper, on the internet, etc last week.  I found out about it all so last minute I didn't get to tell all of you about it.  I had an interview with NBC nightly news which also was on the Today show, an interview with Channel 13 locally, an AP phone interview, an AP video interview, an AP photographer shadowing me at the Vegas Half Marathon.  It was absolutely crazy.  Let's just say that there was a lot of interviewing, filming, photographing and its hilarious to see what actually comes out of it.  It was really fun, but I felt like a big GOOB doing a lot of it.  Acting natural while there's a big camera in front of you is really hard.  Anyway, if you did not see any of it, all this media excitement was due to some exciting Afinitor breast cancer data coming out of the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium last week.  MD Anderson got me and my friend Suzanne Hebert to talk to the press about our experience with the drug.  I was really excited to tell everyone how great this drug has been for me.  Dr. Jennifer Litton, my breast oncologist, was also featured in an interview with ABC nightly news and Channel 13 here locally.  It was a big media week for us all.  Here are some links to some of the news stories:


http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/45590165#null


http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/health&id=8458492


http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Big-promise-is-seen-in-2-new-breast-cancer-drugs-2373366.php


http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Therapy-combo-shows-promise-in-breast-cancer-cases-2376796.php




Thanks to all of you who have emailed, facebooked, texted, called, etc to let me know you saw me in the news.


On a final frivolous fun note, I do have to say congratulations to the Houston Texans on securing their first ever playoff berth as the AFC South Division Champs.  It's been ten long years!  YAY TEXANS!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment