Monday, August 15, 2011

2 Year Anniversary of my Breast Cancer Diagnosis!

That's right, it's been 2 years since I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  It's such a strange thing, when I found out that my breast cancer had spread to my liver and I was Stage IV I asked my wonderful oncologist at MD Anderson what was my prognosis.  Remember folks, I asked...she responded by saying that with cases like mine a textbook answer is 2 years.  Here I am 2 years later!  Me and Dr. Litton have had a good laugh about it.  I count myself very blessed to have her, Dr. Wheler, and Dr. Schusterman looking after me.  As I have told many of you, it is by the GRACE of GOD that I am still here today living my life.  


So how did I celebrate 2 years of being a cancer survivor other than getting a boob job and sitting at my house all last week recovering?  Me and my good friends got together for Saturday brunch on the 13th.  Thanks to Kayla and Sherri for putting it together and also Natalie who couldn't be there, but made an incredible collage for me with memorable pics from the last few years.  Here are some of the pics from the big day!








I also got to celebrate with my good friend Martha (aka Dynamo stalker) at the Dynamo game on Sunday night.  I actually caught a t-shirt that the Dynamo cheerleaders were throwing into the stands.  It's actually quite comical considering my recent surgery.




So now it's back to work, back to reality.  I feel like I've accomplished so much in just two short years.  I've spent a little time this weekend thinking about what the near future may hold for me.  


1. Of course I have CT scans again on Monday, August 29 to determine if I will continue in my clinical trial.  My doc is expecting great results - keep praying for God's will.  


2.  I've finally sent all my info to my attorney to file my non-profit with the IRS.  Again, the name will be Suites of Hope.  I already own the domain names of suitesofhope.org and suitesofhope.com.  Nothing is up yet, by the way.  Laurie (my MDA friend who inspired me to start all this madness) is designing the logo with a graphic designer friend of hers.  There are 3 of us that will serve on the board:  myself, Clint Coker, and Laura Kalokowski.  There will be more people added later, but just 3 for now. My next project is opening up a checking account for the charity and liquidating my stock-nest egg that will start funding the charity.  I will post more as time goes on.  Hopefully we will be legitimate with the IRS by October 1.


3.  I will be riding 47 miles in the Tour de Pink on September 18 with Team Bella Rachel!  


4.  I'm looking forward to Clint and Nathan's fundraiser - Pink Pigeons on September 30 as well as the Komen Walk on October 1.  I've got other breast cancer awareness stuff going on in October and will talk about it as things get closer.


5.  I got the VEGAS Half Marathon December 4 with the girls and HOUSTON Half Marathon with my buddy Braun in January.  


Obviously I will be keeping busy for at least the next 6 months.  


Finally, I want to remind everybody about others in my life who are just starting their battle with cancer or winding it down.  My childhood friend, Jackie (Blahuta) Garcia-Rameau will be having her mastectomy for Stage I Breast Cancer this coming Friday.  Good luck, Jackie - we will be praying.  It will all be good...trust me!  Clint's cousin, Peggy Duren, has been battling metastatic ovarian cancer for the last few months and has decided a couple of weeks ago to stop chemotherapy that wasn't working and enter hospice at home.  Please pray that Peggy has peaceful time with her family as her journey here on earth comes to an end.  





5 comments:

  1. I continue to be moved and inspired by your strength and determination. You are an incredible person, and a joy to know. Keep rockin' your fine self!
    Love,
    Gayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what you have done in two years! If anyone can turn lemons into lemonade it is you. I am looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months and staring at your brand new friends! ;-)

    H

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be one of the first to contribute to your Suites of Hope when it gets established. Martha (Knock Out Roses). You are one amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to come upon your blog by doing a google image search with this series of words "Hooters Dynamo Logo". What a great photo of you with the Hooters shirt and your comment shows your sense of humor through this no doubt difficult journey. Your blog is inspirational and entertaining!

    By the way, you may not be aware, but every Hooters nationwide raises a minimum of $1000 each year which is donated to the "Kelly Jo Dowd Breast Cancer Research Grant. Kelly Jo was a former calendar girl and Hooters Manager.

    I got so much more than a logo from this detour down internet lane. Best to you and your health!

    Heather Suggitt
    Divisional Marketing Manager
    Greater Houston Area
    Hooters of America

    ReplyDelete
  5. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comNovember 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM

    Hello Rachel,

    I hope all is well. I wanted to let you know about this great resource Healthline has about breast cancer. The resource includes a virtual tour on understanding the progression of breast cancer, from where it starts to how it affects the body.

    You can see the guide here: http://www.healthline.com/breast-cancer/anatomy-animations#1/breast-cancer-where-it-starts

    I thought this would be a great resource for your site and wanted to see if you could include it on your page: http://memoirsofametastaticmidgett.blogspot.com/2011/08/2-year-anniversary-of-my-breast-cancer.html

    Please let me know if this would be possible. I’m happy to answer any questions as well.

    Thanks so much,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete