Monday, August 22, 2011

The Wildlife Preserve in My Backyard!

Just recently I posted, on Facebook, a picture of a some "wildlife" found in my backyard here in Bellaire and got quite a reaction from several people so I decided to dedicate a blog entry to the critters.  Some of you may not know this but me and Clint live in a house in Bellaire which is right in the middle of HOUSTON!  We do not live in the country or the "burbs", we actually live 3 houses outside the 610 Loop.  Anyway, so far we have seen many animals running around our house in the front and backyard.  These animals have included raccoons, possums, squirrels, strange birds, baby snakes, geckos, and my all time favorite RATS!!  Clint and our neighbor, Mark, are in the midst of what they call "The Great Rat Wars."  We've seen rats run across our power lines in the backyard over the past couple of years, but nothing like we have seen lately.  Our dog, Preston, has even brought a couple of dead baby rats into the house.  YUCK.  So Clint and Mark are putting out traps, poison, etc. to downsize the rat population pronto.  While Clint has been in Africa the last week, I even found a large rat swimming in our pool.  I didn't want to let it drown and have a rat corpse in the pool, so I used the long handled net to help it get out of the pool and let it run away.  I can't believe I let it live to see another day.  Anyway, here are some pictures of wild life seen in our back yard the past year.  Oh, and could someone tell me exactly what type of birds these are.  I think they are some type of crane or heron? 


Birds!





Possums!



My favorite, the RATS!  (all three different rats!)





Anyway, kinda crazy since we live in the middle of Htown.




Something really exciting happened last night at church - Houston's First Baptist.  Pastor Gregg announced that the church is purchasing a condo around the corner to provide a place to stay for cancer patients coming to Houston for treatments.  They are calling it "House of Hope!"  I was really excited!  First thing I thought was that my non-profit Suites of Hope is definitely a great idea since HFBC is doing the same thing - it was a confirmation from God that I am on the right track and there's a huge need for housing for cancer patients.  Second, we need all the condos we can get - I don't think there could ever be enough people or organizations buying up condos for this reason.   Just so everyone knows, I did go up to Pastor Gregg after church was over and talked briefly about it all.  He gave me the Mission Pastors info and told me that we need to network, discuss, etc how we can work together and help each other out.  YAY!   So excited about it.  I will continue to keep you guys updated.


Keep praying for me, my next CT scan is a week from today.  Praying its all good news!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment