Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Liver Lesions Take Another Beating!!!

I'm so excited!  My CT scan results are in and Dr. Wheler got to give me the good news today...all my liver lesions are still shrinking and there are no new lesions or tumors anywhere else.  My blood work looked really good as well.  All my tumor markers were in the normal range and my liver enzymes are normal too.  YAY!  I get to continue taking the Afinitor and Arimidex daily.  I will get CT scans again in 3 months.  


I was a little nervous today going into my appointment.  I went by myself because Clint had a really, really, really important meeting.  This was basically my very first appointment by myself when I was getting test/scan results.  I really had no expectations going in today.  All I know is that I am feeling great and had no reason to worry.  After, Dr. Wheler gave me the big news I just kind of sat there for a few seconds saying or thinking nothing at all.  Just didn't know how to process it...this is the longest I have been on a treatment regimen for breast cancer.  Taxol (3 months),  FAC (3 months), Tamoxifen (4 months), Abraxane (2 months), Xeloda (4 months), nothing for 2 months due to surgery and washout period, and now I have been on Arimidex and Afinitor for 6 months.  6 WHOLE MONTHS with 3 more to go!  Woohoo!!  So much to celebrate...Praise GOD!


So, I guess you guys have figured out that I get CT scans every 3 months.  I thought I would take a couple of pics of the experience. 


The lovely barium smoothie!  I chose Banana this time.  Other flavors include Apple, Berry, Mocha, and plain.  I have to drink 2 of them over 2 hour time period.






After 2 hours of prepping, I get to go in for the CT scan.  So, I drink barium, get a iodine contrast IV through my power port, and a barium enema...yes, you read that right, barium enema for the lower GI scan.  I am going to discuss skipping the lower GI scan next time.






It's a pretty quick scan - maybe 15 minutes at the most.  I love the "pac man" that lights up and tells me when to breathe in and breathe out.  He has such a nice soothing voice.


Anyway, good times!


My new boobs are healing just fine.  I saw Dr. Schusterman for my 2 week check up.  I hope to start working out again next week.  It's just killing me not to be able to run at the park.  I feel so lethargic.  I go back to see Dr. Schu in another month.  Then we will discuss when I get to have my procedure to make a areola and nipple for my left breast - that's the final part to the whole crazy reconstruction process (other than getting the new areola and nipple tattooed in his office for color to match the right side).


Me, Melanie, and Dr. Schusterman at this office last week.






I'm so thankful that the clinical trial I'm in allowed me to have my surgery without missing a single dose of treatment!! It's really amazing to get the results I'm getting with my liver lesions while not decimating my blood and immune system.  


Thanks again for all your prayers and words of encouragement.  I couldn't do any of this without my friends and family!!



No comments:

Post a Comment