Monday, October 10, 2011

Fun Week but Exhausted!!

I took a bit of a break from the blog - I was in Orlando all last week for a national meeting with work.  I know some of you are wondering why I would be gone for a whole week when I just sell one drug...we now have iPads with new software platforms, etc and had to be trained on all that good stuff.  I have to say that while it was a long week, it was a really fun meeting.  We even got an afternoon off to go to Universal Studios and had a company party at CityWalk on Thursday night.  I think the best part was the Karaoke bar...it wasn't just any karaoke - there was a full band and back up singers!! It was really fun.  Just in case you are wondering...yes, I did sing.  Not by myself though.  Me and Todd Wood, a manager from Indiana, sang Summer Nights from Grease.  We weren't very good, but it was a lot of fun.  I really enjoyed seeing my fellow co-workers perform.  Hector Ramirez sang "Living on a Prayer" and was REALLY good - some of you may remember Hector from our days at BMS.  We also had a great time at Universal and I got to ride the new Harry Potter ride.  Let's just say that a lot of us got motion sickness from the ride.  I think I like the SpiderMan and Mummy rides WAY BETTER!!  Here's a few pics from the meeting...


A group of us at Universal Studios right outside the Harry Potter (aka Vomit Comet) ride.  




Kurt, Shawn (my new co-worker at UCB/old co-worker from Icos), and Greg Duncan (US President of UCB) celebrating Shawn's birthday!


Me and Todd Wood trying to sing Summer Nights from Grease.


I finally got home Friday night just in time to see my sister and nephew who flew in from North Carolina for the ECU/UH game.  I felt so bad...I was so exhausted from the meeting and had such a headache when I came home that I went to bed at 8:30 that night - didn't get to spend any time with my family until Saturday.  I think I gave my family a bad scare Friday night.  I think they thought I was sick from the cancer or something, but it was plain Jane exhaustion.  OK, maybe I was so exhausted because of the long hours from the meeting AND the fact that my medication does make me a bit fatigued anyway.  It's just frustrating that I'm not quite the girl I used to be just a couple of years ago before all the treatments.  I haven't told a lot of you this, but I wake up every morning with a lot of joint pain and morning stiffness in my legs, ankles, feet.  It's not because of my running either.  It was happening even when I was recovering from my reconstruction surgery and wasn't working out at all.  I'm trying not to complain too much, though.  It's a side effect from my meds, but they are working on the cancer so I can definitely deal with it. 

On another note, I was definitely hit with a heavy dose of Cancer Land reality this last week with the passing of Steve Jobs from pancreatic cancer and the passing of Clint's cousin, Peggy Duren, from ovarian cancer.  I read an interesting article about Steve Job's last months.  I also thought about Peggy and her final months as well.  Steve and Peggy both spent their final months with their family and closest friends.  What would you do if you knew you only had 6 months left?


"No one wants to die and yet death is the destination we all share."   Steve Jobs








1 comment:

  1. Rachel, if only we all lived as if we only have 6 months left, which we may!
    Our priorities would probably be so much different and more focused on really important things. Yet, most of us live as if we have forever.

    "Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming....For this reason you be ready too; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will." Mat. 24:42,43 How I need to remember this in the midst of the busyness of life.

    ReplyDelete