Sunday, October 16, 2011

I Still Believe!! It was a good week in CancerLand!!

It's been a good week in Cancer Land!!  Thank goodness, because the week before was not that great.  Let me start by telling you guys the really good news.  Some of you may remember my friend from Connecticut, Suzanne Hebert.  I met her online in on breastcancer.org and got to meet her in person when she came down here to MD Anderson.  She ended up in the same Phase I Afinitor trial I'm in.  Her first CT scan since she started the clinical trial was this last week...GREAT news!  Her liver lesion was 21% smaller!  Yay!!!  This is only after 3 months on therapy.  Suzanne was really excited and I was so excited for her.  She is like me, and had not had good scans for some time before Afinitor.  I know we have not won the war on breast cancer yet, but we are winning some sweet little battles!  Suzanne is going to celebrate next week with her sister out in LA.  She even has tickets to the Ellen show.  Have fun Suzanne, you deserve it.  I forgot to tell many of you this...I figured out a couple of months ago that I had read about Suzanne in a NY Times article back in January of this year.  It took me a while to put "2 and 2" together to realize it was the same Suzanne.  What a small world. Her article really inspired me.  I am glad that I can call her my friend.  Here is the NY Times article from January 2011.


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/health/18cancer.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&hpw




I also got to spend time with my dear sweet friend, Laurie Earls, this week.  Unfortunately it was in the MD Anderson hospital.  I haven't told you guys this yet, but Laurie's angiosarcoma cancer has spread to her brain stem.  She is currently getting daily radiation treatments.  So far this and the Nexavar treatments seem to be working.  After her radiation is over, Laurie and her sister Charlene will be flying home to California on Thursday.  I am so excited Laurie is getting a break and will get to spend some much needed time back home.  I will miss her terribly but she will be back in a few months.  Please pray for Laurie!! While the current treatments seems to be working on her cancer, she has had such a tough time.  I know God has a plan for Laurie.  It's just so hard to watch her go through all this.  It's been a cake walk for me compared to what her and her family have had to endure.  


For me, things are good.  I am working hard at my job, working out, running to prepare for my half marathons, and trying to enjoy breast cancer awareness month.  My hair continues to grow and I just got it cut and colored and LOVE it.  Here is a current pic of me and Clint.  My hair is actually longer than it looks - I have it behind my ears.  Good news is that the front of my hair is now even with the back...no more mullet!  LOL!



Pic of me and Suzanne from this last summer

Congrats on the good news Suzanne!  So happy for you, David and the kids! 

In honor of all the good news, me being a music lover, and also a big dork, I am starting something new...a song of the week!!  I will have a new song every Sunday night.  

My first "Song of the Week" will be an oldie but goodie!  "I Still Believe" by The Call.  Download it people!!! It is a GREAT song.  I always think of my Lamesa friend Ginna Treadwell when I hear it - I think she introduced me to The Call.  Anyway, it was also in the movie "The Lost Boys" which is a favorite of mine.  Just a good kick a$$ kind of song that will get you inspired if you are a little down.







No comments:

Post a Comment