Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Doctors are regular people like me and you!

Last week I found out from my clinical trial oncologist at MDA that my breast oncologist would be the featured speaker at this month's MDA Grand Rounds - which took place yesterday.  Of course I just had to attend.  Remember folks, I am a pharmaceutical sales rep and have gone to a few Grand Rounds over the past 13 years of my career, so this isn't really such a strange or rare event for me.  Anyway, what is rare is that Dr. Litton was invited to speak - she is an associate professor and usually the speakers are department chairs, visiting professors from outside, etc.  This was a huge honor for my doc so I had to go and support her.  Her presentation was regarding Breast Cancer diagnosis during preganancy and fertility after cancer treatments. Such an interesting topic - did you know that the first infant born after chemo treatments for BC at MDA is now 21 years of age?  They've been using chemo on pregnant women for that many years?  After the hour long presentation I went down to the front of the auditorium to say hi.  Dr. Litton invited me to go get coffee with her.  Really?  I've always wanted to take her out for a beer and ask some really crazy questions about cancer, but I guess coffee is the next best thing, right?  We had a great time hanging out for about an hour or so down in the lobby.  But to my surprise, we didn't really talk much about cancer - we talked about vacations, her kids, cooking, shopping, and what we like to do in our down time.  Did you know that she likes to watch mindless TV just like me!!  Her favorite is the Bachlorette while mine is Housewives of the OC or Jersey (that's right, I've finally moved on from reruns of the Golden Girls since we don't get the Hallmark channel anymore).  She also likes People magazine, who knew?  I thought she spent all her down time reading the newest BC articles on PubMed or preparing for her next big lecture or clinical trial - I mean, she doesn't work 24 hours a day?


On a serious note, I did ask her how many hours a week she works - it would be 60.  That's crazy, especially for a high stress job like cancer.  I shook my head, called her "Dr. Death" (or was it Dr. Doom and Gloom?) and asked her how she emotionally does this job day in and day out.  Sadly, she looked at me like I was the first person to actually ask her this question.  She said it's really difficult, she's lost so many patients over the years and it never gets any easier.  


Which brings me to my next point - I think we expect way too much out of our physicians.  Not only are they supposed to know exactly what's wrong with us and how to make it go away at our convenience with the least amount of pain and side effects, but they are supposed to be our therapist, spiritual guide, fortune teller, financial advisor, and best friend with an amazing sense of humor.  Ummmmm,  I don't think this is possible for any human being much less physicians who are over worked, under appreciated, and underpaid.  Never mind they have lives of their own to worry about.  I imagine many physicians leave work everyday feeling like every ounce of life has been sucked out of them.  


So next time you are out and about and see your physician at a restaurant, out doing some retail therapy, running at the park, hanging out at their kids school, doing their laundry at your house (who could that be?) or somewhere putting their bare feet on the table (I'm not naming any names) just remember that they are regular people too - just like me and you, but just so happen to have MD behind their name and just may have the cure for cancer.  I hope we all realize how valuable they are to us and how we appreciate everything they do!!

2 comments:

  1. Great perspective, Rach. And (from Caringbridge) so encouraging to hear your drug met its end point early. So grateful you got in that clinical trial!!! - Christin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new blog site! You continue to inspire me. Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete