Friday, July 8, 2011

Just another day at MDA!

I had a pretty interesting day at MD Anderson this Thursday.  Actually everyday that I go up to that amazing place is pretty interesting, but this Thursday was extra special.  As some of you know, I occasionally go to a message board for Stage IV metastatic breast cancer survivors on breastcancer.org.  I only post or reply to threads once in a blue moon.  I go there mostly to see what other women are on treatment wise and to see if there is anything new or exciting out there for liver mets.  Anyway, earlier in the week a woman named Suzanne posted that she and her husband were coming to MDA from Connecticut to see what is available for clinical trials, etc.  She also wanted to know about things to do, places to eat, etc while they are in Houston.  I responded and offered to meet up with her and her husband at MDA on Thursday since I had a 2 hour window between my blood draw and my appointment in the Center for Targeted Therapy where I see my clinical trial oncologist.  We met up in the Rotary House and had a great visit.  Her cancer experience is a lot like mine - even the fertility issues before the diagnosis.  She also has liver mets like me. We talked for a while and she told me that she was also being referred to the same Center for Targeted Therapy by her breast oncologist at MDA that she saw earlier in the week, but was just waiting to be scheduled for her appointment. While we were visiting, her scheduler called and told her that she arranged an appointment for her...at the same time as mine and with the same oncologist!  Wow!  So we all went up to the 10th floor together for our appointments - she ended up being in the patient room next to me.  She even ended up in the same clinical trial as me - Arimidex and Afinitor!  It was just an amazing day - she was so happy to not be going on another chemo and she was excited that she may have a shot at having amazing results like me (we both have a lot in common as far as cancer type, treatment failures, etc).  


What's more amazing is seeing MD Anderson through the eyes of someone who has never been there before.  I have to say, I take it for granted that it is in my backyard here in Htown.  Here are some of the things I want to say about the place:


1.  If you ever have a bad day and need to get a grip on reality - go walk the halls of MDA and you will realize how small your problems really are and how life can be so unfair and cruel for others.  


2.  The place can really be intimidating.  Suzanne couldn't get over the fact that it was such a huge institution...that just specializes in cancer!  She has been treated at Dana Farber and says it is nothing compared to the size and magnitude of MDA.


3.  If you have cancer, you can be with your peeps!  So many people come to MDA from other areas of the country where they may be the only person in their town with cancer, or the only person at that institution being treated for a certain type of cancer.  That my friends, can be kinda lonely.  At MDA, even people with the most rare of cancers have others they can reach out to at MDA who have the same type of cancer.


4.  "Everyone here has ports and wigs.  It's wonderful!"  Suzanne couldn't believe so many people at MDA were wearing wigs and sporting ports, especially the "power ports."  I laughed and told her that those of us who have had the port placed by Dr. Brown are even held in higher regard - he just celebrated his 5000th port placement at MDA - he has only been doing this at MDA for the last 5 years!


5.  It's been said that God and his angels walk the halls of MD Anderson.  Go and listen to people on the shuttle buses, in the waiting rooms, cafeteria, etc.  You may just catch some of the stories of God working miracles through the physicians and staff.  I can tell you so many stories I've overheard of wonderful and unbelievable happenings, but I don't have time and energy to write them all down.  They are all amazing stories and I love to hear all of them.  So much hope!  So much hope in a place that sometimes, that's the only thing you really have left to cling to.  


6.  I've never understood what it means to have peace and joy even in times of trial.  You see people that look like they are on the brink of death, but yet seem to be at peace with what awaits them.  I've come to the conclusion that no matter what, that is most important - having hope and faith of what's beyond this life and cancer, that you are secure in whatever life gives you.  I see others who are on the brink of death at MDA who don't have this - they look extremely tired, distressed, and lost.  I find myself saying prayers for these people...that they may find peace.  I also say a prayer for myself that when I may be faced with the same finality that I have that peace that the others have shown.  


Otherwise, I can't tell you how nice it was for me and Clint to meet another couple who share a lot of the same trials, uncertainty, fear, and just day in day out life of metastatic breast cancer crap.  We have so many wonderful friends who have been so wonderful and supportive throughout my time in CancerLand, but its just nice to know that there's someone else out there that shares the same life in CancerLand...what I call the "new normal" for me and Clint.  Suzanne and her husband, David will be back in a couple of weeks to get her started on the Arimidex and Afinitor trial.  We look forward to seeing them again when they return.  In the meantime, I realize how blessed I truly am living here in Houston only 4.5 miles away for the #1 cancer institution in the world and that they have found a new treatment for me that seems to be giving me FANTASTIC results for now.  One final word, Afinitor may be really close to being approved by the FDA for metastatic breast cancer - maybe by 2012.  I'm in a phase 1 trial based on the combination, dosing regimens, and structure of this trial.  Afinitor has already finished phase 3 trials for breast cancer and will be up for regulatory review soon.  Here's a link to one of the many articles that made headlines this last week.  EXCITING STUFF!


http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/new-breast-cancer-data-bolsters-novartis-afinitor/2011-07-05


Until next time!!!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,
    You are such an inspiration and truly eye opener for setting an example of how everyone should live....stepping back to recognize & appreciate things we tend to take for granted. Reaching out, listening, and helping others. You have an amazing spirit that I only hope I can continue to learn from and practice in my daily life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and stories.

    ReplyDelete