Sunday, July 17, 2011

Running for a Reason



My friend, Martha (aka Dynamo Stalker), talked me into running the Dynamo 5k yesterday.  For those who don't know, the Dynamo is Houston's professional soccer team.  I thought, why the heck not - I need to run this weekend so I might as well do it for a good cause and a nice tech running shirt.  


It was stinking HOT out there.  It started at 7:30 am but that still wasn't early enough to avoid the overpowering humidity.  Of course I run at Memorial Park during the summer, but at least it's mostly shaded, there's a cool breeze, and it's a nice comfy dirt path.  This was downtown on the concrete roads which are definitely NOT shaded.  To top it all off, Martha's 13 year old daughter, Isabelle, ran with us.  Yes, it does hurt my ego when a six year old kid leaves me in the dust in these little fun runs, but it's way worse to get your a## handed to you by a kid you know and hasn't even run one before!!  So I had to get my game face on and get serious about this "fun run" - LOL.  We had a really good time - me, Martha, and Isabelle stayed at the same pace the entire race and finished together.  I still have my pride intact!


I guess you can say that me and Martha are officially in training for our big half marathon in Vegas, December 4.  Yay!  I'm already thinking of crazy outfits, glow sticks and light up earrings, sunglasses, etc since it's at night on the strip.  As I have said before, anyone interested in doing this with us is welcome to sign up.  Me and Martha's friend, Ashley,  is officially in and my friends Melanie, Tami, and Mary are thinking about it.  


Speaking of running outfits, I got a "Team Sparkle" pink sequined skirt in the mail last week.  It didn't say who it was from or have any sort of note in it.  So, whoever sent it to me if you are reading this: THANK YOU!  I LOVE IT AND CAN'T WAIT TO WEAR IT IN A RACE!


So many of you always ask me why I still run and wonder how I do it.  I'm just not ready to give up something I love so much - especially to cancer.  I know at some point my body may have the final decision, but not now - not yet.  Running is something I still have control over.  I can decide what races I want to sign up for, how I want to train, when and where I want to run, etc.  The training part still gives me a chance to set goals and challenge myself.  If I want to just run for fun (like Vegas) I can also leave my watch at home and just have fun with my friends.  It also gives me a chance to be outdoors and enjoy the scenery where ever it is I'm running.  


Besides, it's still really important that I keep in shape mentally and physically - which is exactly what running does for me.  I don't think I've found another activity that can keep me in such great shape, kick my butt, and at the same time be such an amazing stress reliever.  Yes, I am fatigued from many of my medications and treatments.  Yes, my bones, joints and muscles ache probably from the medications as well.  It also doesn't help that I'm in Zoladex induced menopause which may be the culprit behind a few migraines I've had the last few months.  But I still try and run when I am able.   


What passion, hobby, physical activity would you fight to keep no matter what?

1 comment:

  1. Running:) It's like brushing your teeth, you know??

    ReplyDelete