Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends!


I'm not exactly thrilled when my husband is out of town for business, but the good thing about it is that I get to hang out with my friends A LOT!  So this entry is dedicated to my wonderful friends who over the years have looked after me through thick and thin and also many of my new friends that I am just getting to know.


I'll start with my good friend from my high school days in Lamesa, Joe Wheat.  We haven't seen each other in about 10 years until we litterly bumped into each other at the Hole concert last year.  Who knew Courtney Love could bring old friends together again?  I hang out with Joe and his wonderful friends when Clint is in town, but I usually hang out with them longer/later when Clint's not around.  We always have a good time!  Thanks for Sunday brunch, Joe!


I also usually get to spend time with the Knight sisters who by the way are ALL THREE PREGNANT!  Wow!  I thought about going to the Sade concert on Saturday night, but opted instead to hang out with Natalie who is on bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy (she's only at week 23).  We had a great time watching HLN shows (not as good as the Investigation Discovery Channel, but close 2nd).  


I got to spend time with an old co-worker who may very well become my co-worker again.  YAY!  AND we got to spend time at dinner with my new friend Michelle Denton who is an AWESOME co-worker here at UCB. Good friends, good wine, good times!


I'm looking forward to having a girls night out at the Komen party at Hotel Za Za on Thursday night (always looking for more girls to join us!) and going to see Katy Perry at the Toyota Center (luxury suite, baby!) with my friend Kayla on Friday night.  TGIF...TGIF!  Also can't wait to go to the Alley Theater with my new MD Anderson friend, Laurie, Saturday afternoon, and going to my next door neighbor's girls night out party that night.  


What would I seriously do without all my wonderful friends keeping me busy while my husband's out of town?  I haven't even mentioned all the phones calls, facebook comments, and emails I've received from my friends out of town!  Thanks to all of you for all you do to make me a little more sane and sometimes even forget that I have cancer - it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it, right?


On a more serious note, I had a long time friend call me this weekend to tell me that she has been diagnosed with Stage I breast cancer.  I won't say who as I don't know if she wants me broadcasting it on world wide web.  Praise God that she caught it early!  It still makes me sad that she has to go through surgeries and treatments.  I must say that she was extremely calm and matter of fact about it - you are so brave, my dear friend!  I also found out that a breast cancer sister of mine from my support group may have bone metastasis and may be like me - Stage IV.  It's still up in the air as the doctors at MDA don't know for sure that's its malignant lesions and they can't biopsy due to the location.  She is starting new treatments for bone mets regardless and will be rescanned in 3 months.  Pray for both of my friends as they are dealing with their news.  


Otherwise, I am counting down the days until my 2nd reconstruction surgery on Monday, August 8.  My plastic surgeon's office called me today and my surgeon want to see me in his office tomorrow - I have a feeling that he is going to want to do a mastectomy on my right breast since I may have had cancer there before I started this clinical trial.  I'm hoping if that's the case, he can do an immediate reconstruction with a permanent implant.  Maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions.  I'll let you guys know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment